DEADLINE: AUGUST 1ST, 2022 at midnight
The Rock Barra Artist Residency is an artist-in-residence program at Rock Barra Artist Retreat in Souris, PEI. This program is presented by this town is small in partnership with Rock Barra Artist Retreat, and supported by Innovation PEI through the PEI Culture Action Plan.
Eligibility: The residency is open to professional BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of colour) artists residing in PEI.
(TTIS acknowledge that “People of Colour” applies to a wide and diverse spectrum of racialized people who have different experiences. Our use of the term is aimed to address systemic inequity, and provide a targeted opportunity for artists.)
Duration: 3 days to 1 week. Two to four artists will be selected for concurrent residencies.
Dates: September 12-19, 2022
Selected artists will be given an artist fee of $1000 for the 1-week residency or $500 for a half week. There is no application fee.
Artists do not necessarily have to complete a project during the residency, but there should be a clear project proposal included in the application indicating what will be worked on and how it relates to the location.
Submissions will be reviewed by a peer jury made up of BIPOC professional artists and community members and scored based on the following criteria: artistic merit, achievability/feasibility, and impact, before the final selections are made. Artists working in any media may apply, but no toxic materials or solvents may be used in the space. Artists must be 18+ to apply. Collaborators are invited to apply separately for the two to four slots available.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Alexandra O’Sullivan, Communications Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT INFORMATION (PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING)
Rock Barra is a private artist’s retreat for the contemplation and practice of the creative and healing arts located on the northeast corner of Prince Edward Island. The property is a spectacular twenty-acre site with beautiful views, beach access, sand dunes, a fresh-water pond, and six acres of woods with a walking trail. It should be noted that Rock Barra may not be accessible for some. It is located on uneven terrain and use of stairs is required to access the space.
Selected artists will be given a private room in the main house and will have access to the shared kitchen (hot plate, camp stove, ice box, running water, basic cooking items) and living/common space as well as the full grounds. Studio space can be set up in the main house common area or outdoors.
Artists applying for this program MUST:
– Be respectful and mindful of the natural surroundings, structures, and grounds. Carry out what you carry in and leave everything cleaner than you found it.
– Be at ease with sharing space with bugs, squirrels, rabbits, and other critters
– Be able to safely light and maintain a wood fire.
– Be able to work independently in an isolated setting.
– Have their own transportation.
– Be aware they will be sharing the time/space with one other artist, as well as other occasional visitors/members.
– Agree to abide by the STRICT no-alcohol, no-drug use on the property.
What is provided:
– a private room in the main house at Rock Barra Artist Retreat for 2 or 5 nights
– basic kitchen items for cooking/dishes/cutlery, etc.
– studio space can be arranged either in the main house or set up outdoors
– support for community interaction & networking
– administrative support for organizing the public event
– access to curatorial feedback upon request
What is not provided:
– art materials
– personal items (toiletries etc.)
Note on Application Accessibility:
this town is small encourages applicants to communicate their proposals in ways that they feel most comfortable. this town is small will accept proposals via phone, video, or audio file. You can contact Alexandra O’Sullivan at email@example.com to make arrangements.
Space Accessibility Note: Rock Barra is located on uneven terrain and use of stairs is required to access the space.
Please apply via our Google Form: https://forms.gle/KZkngZfDsm8pSSu2A